Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Flyin' In The Line

Russ called this morning to say that Sorenson Electric would be pulling in the hard line for a local powerline job. This is a big deal because they use a helicopter to pull in the line over I-25 and I-80. I had seen this done years ago when Russ was a lineman for S.E.. I remember watching as Russ climed a pole and helped the helicopter pilot guide the line into the traveler. It is thrilling to watch as the helicopter gets quite close the the pole and the lineman. So, we thought it would be fun to go watch the helicopter this morning. Kurt is the inspector for this job and I think it's ironic that both he and Russ worked for Sorenson and now they are both inspectors for WAPA. I must add something from Russ' post here it is word for word: What my wife left out of this commentary is how "fun" it is standing 90' in the air on two little sticks strapped to your feet, its 10 below zero and the helicopter is blowing cold air and snow down the back of your neck!!! Great Fun!!
Meeting before the pull.
Bringing the hard line to the first structure.
Linemen guiding the hard line into the travelers.
Finished with the pull. Can you believe he gets paid to do this job? Too fun!

3 comments:

Wrena said...

Wonderful pictures of such a awsome project! I added you to our links is that ok? Great to see your all doing so supurb!!

Anonymous said...

What my wife left out of this commentary is how "fun" it is standing 90' in the air on two little sticks strapped to your feet, its 10 below zero and the helicopter is blowing cold air and snow down the back of your neck!!! Great Fun!!

Brenda said...

Holy Cow, that is quite the job alright! And BRRRRR!!!! It looks darn cold!! Glad you got some pictures of that, I had no clue they did that sort of thing... v. interesting!